na końcu artykułu wersja w jęz.polskim
Half of January is perfect time for some hot news. Boys from Alternative Longboards – polish longboard manufacture did their homework. They keep concept of making one graphic and dividing it on several decks – when you collect whole lineup you get the original. Lately they put on their fanpage new graphic on two decks – known and popular Junko and novelty 2015 – Flamingo. Sick, colorful pic with Indians, conquerors and animals was made by artist Patryk Hardziej. We asked Szymon Śmiałek from Alternative, what’s up.
1. Where did you get the idea of graphic? Why did you choose Patryk?
We started searching for graphic artist already in September, browsing through many fanpages and sites, where artists show their work. Straightaway we loved lines of Patryk, so the choice was obvious. We gave carte blanche to him. Our idea was to connect all graphics with one leading colour, which would link all decks.
2. Drawing one graphic and dividing it on several decks was always your sign. Now you have put one drawing on 2 decks. What about other decks? The drawing have continuation or you prepared something different?
We slightly drifted away from that concept and this year we spitted lineup into 3 parts, 2 deck per each: street series – Junko/Flamingo, freeride – Chauma/Snowfinch and downhill – Fantail/Bunting. Each series will get its own graphic, to emphasize the nature of decks.
3. Do you prepare new, unknown decks?
In forthcoming season you could expect new Flamingo and comeback of Bunting in new version, on the other hand rest of boards got facelifting. With the end of the month we will publish whole collection with the description. As to the Flamingo itself, the shape of deck was ready last year, in meantime there was slight modification of shape, however we didn’t want to release new model in the mid-season, that’s why Flamingo will come out just in 2015.
4. You know deck manufacturing inside out. As one from few you try new technologies and not fear searching new fields to improve your humdingers. Do you roll out your tech workbench? Do you gather feedback from other manufacturers about the goods and the bads?
Most feedback is from out riders and folks that bought our decks. We always tried to listen other people opinions to improve our stuff. We are young company, we know our advantages and disadvantages, that’s why we still try to improve and perfect our products. In September we moved to new place with workshop, so we could equip it with new machines that will expedite our work and refine our work. We still search for new solutions. test new materials and bring them on, so we could offer the highest quality. This year we had focused on better finishing of boards, slimming them down, and the most important thing from producers view – stabilizing the production.
5. Rayne Longboards this year created their first line of decks with divided graphic. Had you been behind it? =]
Lately we are only behind doors of our workshop, but if actually Rayne did pattern on us, there is nothing other to do then to be glad, that slowly people start to recognize our decks abroad.
6. Are your boards known aboard? What we see on foreign forums, big hype on Alternative is for instance in Czech Republic or in Italy (from where come your teamrider, Martin Botticchio).
From the begging we tried to move beyond Polish borders, but it all really begun at ISPO 2014 trade show – then we met distributors. Thanks to this we could form our first real deals. In this year we would like to enter new foreign markets and establish our position in existing ones.
7. What other things do you prepare in season 2015?
We are focusing on polishing up new collection. We have few new ideas, but we have to be sure, that out boards are refined in each detail, then we could rush into new stuff.
From other things we couldn’t fullfill last year was trip on KnK and our orignal longboard event – we hope that this year we will have time to accomplish both.
8. Do you have plans for season 2016?
Last till collection 2017. 🙂
9. Quick last question – in longboarding I love the most…
Next season of trips and having fun on board.
Last news! Alternative released next graphic for Bunting and Fantail created by Tomasz Majewski THATT! So stoked!
Share / Comment / Create / Share your passion
From riders to riders – that’s the definition of this place